Monday, April 9, 2007

Beyond Irony

I've listened to Don Imus faithfully since 1992, so I know a bit about the guy and aye-uh, I admit that I find his show entertaining. He often says things that are beyond defensible and there's never a protected class on Imus. But, he covers current affairs (no pun intended) and politics in a way that helps me understand complex issues more easily than other talk shows and pundits, so I continue to tune in.


What he said last week about the Rutgers women's basketball team was horrible--racist and misogynist-- and I'm not going to defend him or those comments in any way.

I'd be remiss, however, given my generally cynical view of politics, big business and public life in America, if I didn't share with you the following true things:

While reading MSM articles and blog posts on the controversy, I clicked over to this post at OliverWillis.com.
The most unfortunate google ad appears at the bottom of Mr. Willis' post:

Now I realize that Mr. Willis can't control the ads that adsense flows through to his specific posts, but he can block her ads from appearing on his site, but he makes money from the Coulter ads that appear on the site and he drives business to her. On a post dismissing Mr. Imus' apology and calling for his firing.....(for the record, he called her on the John Edwards slur on his blog--although his comments were directed more towards the Republican candidates who associate with her than about her)

Beyond ironic, is it not?

The other irony of this saga is that the Rev. Al (Crown Heights riot flame thrower, Freddy's Mart "white interloper" man, not to mentionn Tawana Brawley) Sharpton is leading the call for Imus' firing. I think it's fair that Rev. Sharpton, who has frequently used slurs, innuendo, and intimidation to line his pockets and ruin the lives of others, give up his public persona if Imus is fired.

UPDATE: C. Vivian Stringer, one of the icons of women's basketball calls Imus to task in a completely appropriate and (as always for her) classy way:

"It is of the utmost importance to be an inspiration to young people and I truly believe my team represented Rutgers University, the state of New Jersey, and NCAA student-athletes across the country in the highest manner. I am proud of these young women and strongly encourage Mr. Imus to instead read the headlines and the stories that told of our triumphs the past six months."
If you don't know about Vivian Stringer, you should get to know her. She's a role model, a hero, a coaching legend.

Next UPDATE: Hustleknockin' weighs in on the situation:
We give all manner of folks passes for similar language whenever it suits our odd peculiars, particulars and assorted pecadillos. the idea that black women are so second class that they can be insulted at the drop of a hat in word, in song, in image by any and all comers for profit or whim and actually be blamed for it themselves is offensive enough;

No comments: