Thursday, February 22, 2007

A Happy Ending....

Remember this sad tale?

Well, after spending about eight total hours pulling together all of the documentation that the State of Ohio needs to be convinced that I didn't live or work in the state from 2003-2005, writing a cover letter, photocopying all of it, driving through a blizzard to Express Mail the package, and then another hour on the phone this morning with the IRS to try to get my tax transcript for 1995-1997 (I ordered them on February 1 and the IRS shows that they were pulled and mailed on that day, but they never arrived--so I requested a duplicate this morning).......

So after all that, my phone rings this afternoon. It's the nice lady who wrote me that letter from the state.
She tells me she's received and reviewed the 2003-2205 information and it's clear that I did not need to file in the state of Ohio for those years and given the information that I've provided and the explanation in my cover letter, she is going to close this file. I do not need to provide them with the transcript for '95-'97. Great news!
BUT....
there is just one more thing. It seems that the Great State of Ohio has lost my tax return for 2000. She sees that I've paid them, via credit card (it was e-filed) the correct amount and there's not a question of me owing them any money, but they've lost a lot of e-filed returns between 2000 and 2002, and this appears to be one of them. Can I please send her a copy of the state filing for 2000?

Uh. Huh. Now the nice lady and I specifically discussed 2000 when I called her on February 1 after receiving the letter. 2000 was mentioned in the RE line of the letter, but not in the body of the letter, so I asked her if she needed documentation for that year. She said no, so I didn't send it to her. Now she tells me she needs the tax return. Can you guess how quickly I'm getting that to her?
Goodness. It's almost enough to make me a Michigan fan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What good news. Congratulations.
It's a strange story, isn't it? Why would they be looking at tax returns from 11 and twelve years ago?

Anonymous said...

Man am I glad to hear this. Congratulations on kicking the governments' butt. Did you notice how this happened during the new DEMOCRATIC state government, not while the Republicans were running things here?