Thursday, January 11, 2007

Grandma's Best Flu Fighter

First, I have to admit, this is not my grandma's recipe, but it's certainly someone's grandma's so the title isn't a complete lie. It's just good marketing.....

Flu season is upon us and I'm one of the early victims. I still can't quite shake the icky stomach, headachey, general achey, I'm so tired I sleep 15 hours a day feeling. Hubby thinks it's time for the doctor (no way, hosey, I don't like doctors), so before he insists, I'm making a batch of this specific recipe for chicken noodle soup.
It's not failed me yet. The friend who gave it to me called it her Jewish Penicillin. It's a perfect title. Leaving the skins on the root vegetables just packs it with vitamins and the ginger helps fight nausea.


Flu Fighting Chicken Noodle Soup

1 whole fryer chicken (kosher, if possible)
2 large parsnips
2 small onions
4 large carrots
2 large turnips (when you can't find turnips, rutabegas work well)
3 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon ginger
half pound wide egg noodles
2 Tbs fresh dill
2 Tbs fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste

Place the chicken in a pot, cover with cold water
Chop 1 onion, 1 parsnip, 1 turnip, 2 carrots and add to the pot;Do not peel root vegetables
Add the garlic, ginger, salt and pepper
Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, cooking for at least two hours.
Skim fat as necessary
Remove the vegetables and discard
Remove the chicken and debone, then strain the stock and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Chop parsnip, turnip, onion and carrots into small chunks and add to the simmering stock Add the chicken and egg noodles
Cook until noodles and veggies are tender, then add the parsley and dill just before serving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is the recipe my mom always made when me and my sister were sick and I'll be a witness to how well it works and it tastes divine.