Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Chrissie, We Hardly Know Ya

I don't know how I missed this little item, but I did.

Anyway, Chris Evert and Greg Norman have both left their spouses and are now an item....this is big news and worth blogging about here because:

1) Chris Evert is my childhood hero. I started playing tennis at the age of six, but got very serious about it after I watched her Grand Slam debut at the US Open in '71. She made it ok to be a girl and to be an athlete.
2) Sadly,I have two and only two celebrity autographs: His and Hers.

His I got at the Memorial Golf Tournament in Dublin, OH at the height of his career, right before he had the stigma of never being able to to win the big one (I guess this changes that). I was at the rope between green and next tee and he was signing everything handed to him. So I handed him the only thing I had....my white golf hat. He signed it, winked and said, "Here ya go, luv." I have no idea where that hat got to.

Hers I got a few years later, when we physically crashed into each other in the Aspen Airport. I was walking in the door behind her (although I didn't know who it was at the time), when she turned suddenly and ran right into me. She apologized. I stammered something completely inane and then thrust my paper ticket at her and said something along the lines of, "You are my favorite athlete on the planet. You made it ok to be competitive and feminine and that was such a huge help to me. Thank you. Will you give me an autograph?" She sighed, said thanks and yes, signed it and went on about her way. I had to negotiate long and hard with United to keep that ticket, but I still have it. I've never asked for, nor wanted, another autograph.

No comments: