Saturday, May 12, 2007

More Ashland County Amish

Shot through the windshield on the way to meet the family for lunch (I wasn't driving).
Notice that the buggy has no lanterns on the sides, nor a warning triangle on the back. Amish in Ashland County do not use such modern devices, making them more prone to accidents (but notice the bag of tortilla chips?).

We've not had a buggy/car crash in our area for many years, but when I was in grade school, a drunk driver hit the Miller family buggy on a dark night. I don't remember all of the details, but as I recall there were 11 children. Eight survived, at least two were paralyzed and confined to wheel chairs. The horse had to be put down and the English community (that would be all the non-Amish) were deeply affected and saddened.
Shortly after that, the sheriff asked that they begin using lanterns and orange triangles, but as you can see, that didn't happen.

Later in the day, we passed another buggy. It was a three-bench buggy, pulled by two beautiful black horses. A shelf had been built across the back seat and on that shelf was about 15 boxes of cereal. I've never seen anything quite like that. My dad and I are guessing they were on the way home from the grocery store and the shelf was built to haul all the kids and the groceries, kind of like a car trunk.....I mean if you've got a three bench buggy, you must have a mess of kids, right?

No comments: