Wednesday, March 7, 2007

A Little Sunshine

In these days of gloom and doom, global warming (no link necessary), and sudden unexpected loss, I look to the little things to make me smile a bit.
Today was the trifecta of joy:

  • First, a dear friend left a birthday present in the mailbox. It's the book Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Relin. It's the story of a man who, after an unsuccessful attempt to summit K2, has devoted his life to building schools in the Hindu Kush. It's an adventure tale, but it's also an inspiring story of how one person with a vision and a will can change the world....really.
  • Then, I just found out that EA is releasing Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 for the Wii. Wee. One more reason to never leave the house.
  • Right after that I get an email from our help desk. Not only can they replace my skitchy, on again off again Blackberry before I leave town on Saturday, but they've gotten a sleek and stylish Pearl to replace my manly, clunky Blackberry. It will look fab with my storm chasers and BMW Coat.
Finally, my wonderful brother gifted me the new Arcade Fire album Neon Bible thru iTunes. It's terrific-- very different than their first album Funeral. Neon Bible is more angry, full of energy and maybe even a little paranoid. Just my kind of music.

Pretty shallow? Most days, I try not to be, but when my hopes of building merged outcome Heifer/Habitat communities throughout Kenya were dashed when we didn't win Mega Millions, I needed a little pick me up.

No comments: