Friday, June 15, 2007

Ginger Martini

Last night we had a really nice dinner at Geoffrey's, overlooking the Pacific and some enormous kelp beds. Pelicans dive-bombed for fish and we saw one whale spout and sound.

The food was quite good--I started with the beet and herbed goat cheese salad and enjoyed the ahi tuna entree-- but the highlight of the evening was the Ginger Martini that our server recommended. It was light and refreshing and not overly sweet.

I googled for the recipe and found a few variations. This one at the Food Network comes the closest--I think. What I had last night is good enough to make the effort of the ginger syrup worthwhile.

Ginger Martini

Ice
3 ounces vodka, any flavor
1/2 to 1 ounce ginger syrup, recipe follows
1/2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
Twist of lemon or lime

Fill a cocktail shaker or small pitcher with ice. Add the vodka, ginger syrup, and lime juice. Cover and shake vigorously, or stir, until combined and chilled, about 30 seconds. (In general, by the time the shaker mists up the drink is ready.) Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Add twist and serve.


Ginger Syrup:
1 lemon
2 cups coarsely chopped fresh ginger with peel, about 8 ounces
1 cup sugar
2 cups water

Remove the outer peel of the lemon with a vegetable peeler, taking care not to include too much of the bitter white pith. Finely chop the lemon peel and ginger in a food processor.

Transfer the lemon-ginger mixture to a medium saucepan, add the sugar and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes. Strain the mixture and cool. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.


Now, doesn't that seem like a wonderful summer afternoon libation? I think it would go well with a straw hat and sundress.

I'm heading home on the red-eye and looking foward to an afternoon on our beach to recover from the flight.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tasty! I'm not usually one for martinis, but that definitely sounds like one to try. Food Network is such a great recipe resource eh? I love watching Food Network Star. You ever watch it? They just had an episode on the 11th with Bon Appetit magazine, and I also happen to work with them. Anyway, they're having a contest where you can win a trip to NYC to tour the studios, or $1000 in All-Clad cookware. Pretty awesome huh? Best of all you can enter once a day! Check out the link here • http://condenast.eprize.net/bonappetit/index.tbapp?affiliate_id=1i

Anonymous said...

I want this now.

Anonymous said...

I did it. I made it. It's good! Thank you for the inspiration. We're having friends for a cookout and I have a new thing to drink.

mainelife said...

Amy-
Glad to hear you liked it. I haven't had a chance to make one yet, but now I'm psyched to give it a go.

Marie said...

I'm making the syrup right now. Glad to know Amy has already tried it.

Marie said...

Ok. Made and drank the ginger martini. It has a magnificent peppery bite to it and isn't too sweet. But fair warning, one drink is not for light weights...

mainelife said...

Ok you two. I'm making it this weekend for a deck party....I've noted Marie's warning and will admonish the other guests.
I'll let you know how it goes.