Saturday, December 23, 2006

Just Don't Call Him Sir


Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth has awarded Paul Hewitt an honorary knighthood. You can still just call him Bono.
(He will not be awarded with the title of "Sir" because he is not a British national--he's Irish).

Bono was recognized for his service to the music industry and his humanitarian work. Tony Blair congratulated and thanked him:

"I want personally to thank you for the invaluable role you played in the run-up to the Gleneagles G8 summit. Without your personal contribution, we could not have achieved the results we did.

"So thank you and I look forward to continuing to work together to maintain momentum on Africa, and ensure leaders around the world meet the promises they have made."
Bono's the guy who really knows What Jesus Would Do--he's not wasting time trying to discriminate. He's not getting caught up legislating morality. He's bringing aid and comfort to the poorest and most destitute on our earth and he refuses to allow the Christianists to paint him into a box.

I have this hunger in me--everywhere I look, I see evidence of a Creator. But I don't see it in religion, which has cut my people in two. I don't see Jesus Christ as being part of a religion. Religion to me is almost like when God leaves and people devise a set of rules to fill the space.
--Bono

He's not only a knight, he's my idea of a Saint



No comments: