Monday, November 27, 2006

Space Food Sticks

When I was a kid, I hated breakfast. Because my parents were responsible parents (and we lived in a small enough town that everybody knew everybody's business and good families fed the kids before sending them to school), not eating a healthy breakfast before school wasn't an option.

Eggs turned my stomach. Pancakes, waffles and french toast were all too sweet. There wasn't a breakfast cereal that tasted good. Mornings were a battle of wills and it was ugly (we can talk about my choice of attire on another day).

The compromise was half a Carl Buddig Beef sandwich on whole wheat bread (my mom ditched the Wonder Bread the SECOND that there was an alternative) with a dash of mustard. I would eat it and it was reasonably healthy (it had to be better than the bowls of Count Chocula that my sister powered down, right?).

Then came Space Food Sticks. I loved the chocolate flavor. I believed that the astronauts ate them. Heck, I believed that the astronauts survived on them. I didn't care that it was a stick of man-made chemicals (possibly petroleum by-products). The commercial said that the astronauts ate them and my mother hated them. Good enough for me.

Now Mr. Toast reports that they're back. Funny, but I'm not even tempted....

No comments: